[SURBL-Discuss] cheetahmail / rhsbl.ahbl.org

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Aug 31 02:31:34 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 5:11:23 PM, wolfgang wolfgang wrote:
> Hi,

> when experimenting with rhsbl.ahbl.org sender blacklists on MTA level, I
> noticed:
>  reject_warning: RCPT from mta121.cheetahmail.com[66.165.100.122]: 571 Service
> unavailable; Sender address
> [bo-byytbuda6faq70bcxwgsmb73r6zqxc at b.apc.chtah.com] blocked using
> rhsbl.ahbl.org; Domain used in spam.  Access is not allowed.;

> To me, the email seemed to be a valid product hotfix notification from
> http://www.apc.com to registered recipients.

> What are your experiences with or views about cheetah.com? They appear to be
> mass mailers, but also engaged in anti-spam measures / sender verification
> acitivities, and what are your experiences with rhsbl.ahbl.org?

> I would like to make up my mind
> - whether to whitelist cheetah.com mailservers from being blocked on MTA level
> in order to avoid FPs when using ahbl
> - whether to use rhsbl.ahbl.org to reject mails at the MTA level.

> Cheers,

> wolfgang

We whitelisted cheetahmail.com in SURBLs, presumably because we
saw false positives on it, as you suggest.

I personally don't use ahbl for blocking at any level.
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, list.dsbl.org and combined.njabl.org
are the ones I usually recommend at the MTA level, but they may
be too strict or not strict enough for some situations.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.