[SURBL-Announce] three-level-tlds file added, abused hosts added to two and three level TLD files

SURBL Announcement list [READONLY] announce at lists.surbl.org
Thu Feb 25 16:14:10 CET 2010

SURBL has created a three-level-tlds list that contains domains that
should now be checked at the fourth level.  It joins the existing list
of two-level-tlds domains that should be checked at the third level.
We also added some frequently abused web hosts into both of these TLD
files, so they are no longer strictly CCTLD files, but should be able
to function the same way for applications.  We also moved the location
of the files.  For more information please see our Implementation
Guidelines:

  http://www.surbl.org/implementation.html

The new location of these files is:

  http://www.surbl.org/tld/two-level-tlds

and:

  http://www.surbl.org/tld/three-level-tlds

Please do not retrieve these files more often than once per day.  They
update only rarely.  The old location will redirect to the new one for
a while then go away eventually.  Please update all SURBL applications
accordingly.

The TLD handling change is backward compatible, but there will be more
detections if implemented.

The updated TLD data in part come from:

  http://rulesemporium.com/rules/90_3tld.cf
  http://rss.uribl.com/hosters/hosters.txt
  http://publicsuffix.org/
  https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:Effective_TLD_Service
  http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/netwerk/dns/src/effective_tld_names.dat?raw=1
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.3/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Util/RegistrarBoundaries.pm

and ongoing but infrequent registry research.