sa->sb? (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: Please sanity check sa.surbl.org announcement)

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Sun Apr 11 10:23:50 CEST 2004

Good morning, all,

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Jeff Chan wrote:

> On Sunday, April 11, 2004, 12:59:57 AM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 11, 2004, 12:29:43 AM, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> >> I have a concern about the rule.  Bill Stern's SpamAssassin blacklist is
> >> a blacklist *for* SpamAssassin, so I think the naming of your rule and
> >> the DNSBL name (sa.surbl.org) are unintentionally a bit misleading since
> >> the list is not maintained by the ASF or SpamAssassin.  I think it would
> >> be a good idea to rename the DNSBL and the rule to make this clearer.
> >> Maybe we should encourage (or help) Bill Stern to pick a snappy name.
> >> :-)
>
> > Fair enough.  I picked sa.surbl.org out of thin air since his rule
> > started with "sa" and to give oblique credit to the original
> > motivation for his rule, if not the precise source.

	I picked sa-blacklist to give homage to the spamassassin
developers too.  Oh well.

> > Bill, anyone, got some better names?  I prefer two letters.
> > (sa and sc were kind of confusing anyway.)   "sb" for
> > Sa-Blacklist anyone?  LOL!  ;-)

	The abbreviation isn't important.  If Daniel wants if changed,
then "ws" is fine with me.  "sb" still sounds like a spamassassin
blacklist - and I fear that's not far enough away from spamassassin.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "We don't want an election without a paper trail...all three
owners of the companies who make these machines are donors to the Bush
administration.  Is this not corruption?"
        -- Gore Vidal
(Courtesy of http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/52/features-cooper.php)