[SURBL-Discuss] DNS load on slartibartfast.pa.net

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Tue Apr 13 00:10:41 CEST 2004

Good evening, all,
	It's still early in the project, but a few quick observations.
Using dnstop and tethereal, I've seen that in the last 24 hours we've had
570K DNS queries to slart, the 5th/6th nameserver for {sa,sc}.surbl.org.
84% of those - 475K queries - have been to surbl.org.  The next closest
was in-addr.arpa with 12K and 7500 or less for everything else (that
"everything else" category includes being a primary or secondary for 130
other domains and the primary nameserver for 28 machines).  Of that 475K,
400K were to sc.surbl.org and 43K to sa.surbl.org.  I suppose the rest
were to jeff.chan.rox.surbl.org.  *smile*
	More recent nameserver stats show the RBL is hovering around 90.2%
of the queries to that nameserver.

	Oh, and did I mention that the nameserver is running on one of 27
User-Mode Linux virtual machines (*) running on top of a dual 1.4Ghz P3?
The host machine load runs from 3.0 - 5.0 (but 2 of that is from the
distributed.net CPU sponge, so really the load is 1.0 - 3.0). It'll be
interesting to see just how high the load goes as more people come on,
especially when SA 3.0 comes out.
	*gulp*  :-)
	Cheers,
	- Bill

* http://66.59.109.137:1500 ,
http://www.stearns.org/slartibartfast/uml-coop.current.html

	"NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix
isn't in the coffin... It's wondering what the heck is sealing itself
into a wooden box 6 feet underground..."
(Courtesy of Jason McMullan <jmcc at grits.visus.com>)