[SURBL-Discuss] DNS load on slartibartfast.pa.net

Kelsey Cummings kgc at sonic.net
Mon Apr 12 23:56:13 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:10:41PM -0400, William Stearns wrote:
> Good evening, all,
> 	It's still early in the project, but a few quick observations.
> Using dnstop and tethereal, I've seen that in the last 24 hours we've had

Well, I don't have query counts but here's how the SURBL stacks up on my
servers.

rfc-ignorant.org   91.9% (And this is actually just a delegation point.)
surbl.org           3.2%

rfci had 29k queries in the few minutes I ran dnstop.

Our rbldns servers do a combined 3-4Mbps in outbound DNS answers - primary
traffic load is from the rfci and spamhaus zones which we secondary for the
public.

Be warned, when the SURBL gets into a default SA release we will see the
traffic scream up.  Be prepared to serve a few mbits of DNS traffic.

Jeff, how many secondaries do you have lined up?  Wouldn't hurt to pickup a
few anycasted secondaries either.  (I'm working on it at Sonic, but it's
still a way out.)

Can we get a default reply to list going too?

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at sonic.net           sonic.net, inc.
System Administrator                      2260 Apollo Way