[SURBL-Discuss] DNS load on slartibartfast.pa.net

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Apr 13 00:50:55 CEST 2004

On Monday, April 12, 2004, 10:56:13 PM, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
> Well, I don't have query counts but here's how the SURBL stacks up on my
> servers.

> rfc-ignorant.org   91.9% (And this is actually just a delegation point.)
> surbl.org           3.2%

> rfci had 29k queries in the few minutes I ran dnstop.

> Our rbldns servers do a combined 3-4Mbps in outbound DNS answers - primary
> traffic load is from the rfci and spamhaus zones which we secondary for the
> public.

> Be warned, when the SURBL gets into a default SA release we will see the
> traffic scream up.  Be prepared to serve a few mbits of DNS traffic.

Definitely important to plan for.

> Jeff, how many secondaries do you have lined up?

We currently have seven with Dave Funk recently offering some
more.

ns1.freeapp.net
dns1.littleredbat.net
a.rbl-auth.sr.sonic.net
b.rbl-auth.sr.sonic.net
slartibartfast.pa.net
dns.maddoc.com
master.dto.tudelft.nl

> Wouldn't hurt to pickup a
> few anycasted secondaries either.  (I'm working on it at Sonic, but it's
> still a way out.)

> Can we get a default reply to list going too?

We left the list reply to going to senders from the default
Mailman install (with a strong recommendation included for it).
I don't mind changing replies to go to the list, but it might
be good to hear if there are any strenuous objections.

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/