RFC: Removing example.com as a testpoint (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: No install Problems with 0.10)

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 14 16:42:08 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 3:21:19 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
> Jeff Chan writes:
>> Does anyone have any comments about whether we should remove
>> example.com from the test set?  Justin makes a valid point that
>> it could block messages with example URIs.  I'm leaning towards
>> taking it out.
>>
>> If we do, anyone using example.com in their test URIs should
>> change to test.surbl.org or test.(zone).surbl.org.

> I'd suggest something longer and less likely to FP.

We deliberately chose shorter names to to get closer to the
number of levels in actual spam domains.  That may have been
a slight misstep....

> I could
> imagine an (internal) HTTP server being called "test", and
> web developer A mailing web developer B asking them to try
> it out. ;)

But at least we control the surbl.org domain and could try to
remember not to use "test" as a host name or real subdomain.
The same cannot be said of how anyone else chooses to use
example.com or any other potentially real domain.

Any more comments on removing example.com from the test points?

This would affect the test suites of Eric and others.