RFC: Removing example.com as a testpoint (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Re: No install Problems with 0.10)

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Apr 18 16:23:20 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 2:30:40 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 1:27:01 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
>> L. Tran writes:
>>> Try putting http://example-butnotthispart.com in your test message.  It works for me.

>> Ah -- I've just realised, that will be a pretty big problem ;)

>> Jeff, can we change that to another domain? example.com is widely used for
>> the purpose it's intended for, an "example domain" to use in example URLs,
>> example email addrs, example whatever.  Adding it to SURBL as the test
>> domain means that it now gets another, unpleasant meaning -- a good way
>> to get your mail into the spam folder.  I don't think that'll be
>> a good side-effect. :(

>> Something more like the GTUBE ( http://SpamAssassin.org/gtube/ ) -- ie
>> a domain that doesn't already exist and is not going to crop up for other
>> reasons.  Something like http://surbl-org-permanent-test-point.com/ ?

> Hi Justin,
> Good point.  We added example.com by request, and we've just had
> another request for example.tld.  [...]

> HOWEVER, *other RBLs* are not used to block on message bodies and
> example.com is unlikely to be used as a sender domain.   But it
> could appear in a message body URI as someone's example.

Does anyone have any other comments on the issue of removing
example.com or changing it to something really obscure like
the http://surbl-org-permanent-test-point.com/ which Justin
suggested above.  If I don't hear any other feedback I'll go
ahead and make that change Monday and announce it.

This change will require people to update any test suites that
are expecting example.com to be in the SURBL lists.