[SURBL-Discuss] Re: update on unparsed url types

John Fawcett johnml at michaweb.net
Mon Apr 19 09:50:17 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Cline"

> On Sunday 18 April 2004 04:55 pm, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>
> > come to think of this: have spammers used things like tinyurl yet?
>
> No instances of TinyUrl in any of the some 8,000 spam I'v received in
April,
> but looking in the news.admin.net-abuse.sightings newsgroup

(http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off
&q=tinyurl&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dnews.admin.net-abuse.sightings)
> shows over 300 examples for spam with TinyUrl links.

not all occurrences are from the original spams: sometimes posters to nanas
have made the tinurl links.

I clicked on a couple of tinyurl links which were from the original spams
and
got "terminated for spamming" notices. tinyurl seems to be responsive to
spam complaints, which will deter spammers from signing up in the first
place.

John