[SURBL-Discuss] BigEvil + MidEvil as SURBL

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 21 05:46:59 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 4:35:41 AM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Hi!

>> BigEvil is a fairly slowly moving list.  Paul Barbeau's MidEvil
>> is quicker moving and gets new domains usually before Chris can
>> get them into BE.  In that sense ME is a feeder of changes into
>> BE.  Since they are closely related, I merged them into a single
>> be.surbl.org.  I hope Chris and Paul agree that's appropriate.
>>
>> What I'd like to know is what TTLs I should use on the BE data.
>> Probably it depends on how often ME is typically updated.  So...
>> how often does ME get updated Paul?  :-)
>>
>> Also I'd like feedback on the TXT message.  I've got the
>> placeholder:
>>
>>   "Blocked in BigEvil. See: http://www.rulesemporium.com/"
>>
>> but would like feedback on it.

> Do we get a different value on looking up? For example:

> 127.0.0.2 for BE and 127.0.0.3 for ME ?

> We should start doing that also to get the combined list going.

Currently we will have them lumped together (i.e. it's
all .2 without differentiation as to the source).  As I
understand it that may be appropriate since ME is meant
to be essentially updates to BE.  I think of them as the
same list, especially since Chris eventually merges the
ME (update) entries into BE.  I kind of short circuit that
process by merging them for them before turning them into
be.surbl.org.  Hopefully that's ok.

Lists with greater differences such as ws and sc probably
should get different A or TXT records when we eventually
combine them.

FWIW even if we offer a combined list, the individual
ones will probably still be available, like SBL, XBL &
SBL-XBL at spamhaus.

Jeff C.

P.S. Chris please sign up for the SURBL Discussion and
Announce lists if you can:  http://lists.surbl.org/