[SURBL-Discuss] ccTLDs and multiple queries

Eric Kolve ekolve at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 08:37:47 CEST 2004

Initially, when I released spamcopuri I decided to pretty much ignore
whether the TLD was a country code or not.  This results in about
twice as many queries as necessary, but guaranteed you would get
hits if the domain was listed.

Now that people are pointing this to other RBL's beside just surbl,
should we continue to do second and third level queries? Or just
the query that we assume to be necessary?  My concern is that not
all RBLs will process the domains according to a list such as
http://www.bestregistrar.com/help/ccTLD.htm.  I suppose the worst
case scenario is we end up getting a miss when we should be getting
a hit because one side presumes that say TLD .za has a subdomain 'foo',
when the server doesn't.  The server side would expect a second level, while
the client would do a third level query (this is why I wanted the wildcard
records).  I guess this really isn't that great a consequence considering
the savings and the fact that this shouldn't occur very often.

I will go ahead and make this change if everyone is comfortable with the
known risk.

thanks,

--eric