[SURBL-Discuss] ccTLDs and multiple queries

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 21 15:36:57 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 7:37:47 AM, Eric Kolve wrote:
> Initially, when I released spamcopuri I decided to pretty much ignore
> whether the TLD was a country code or not.  This results in about
> twice as many queries as necessary, but guaranteed you would get
> hits if the domain was listed.

> Now that people are pointing this to other RBL's beside just surbl,
> should we continue to do second and third level queries? Or just
> the query that we assume to be necessary?  My concern is that not
> all RBLs will process the domains according to a list such as
> http://www.bestregistrar.com/help/ccTLD.htm.  I suppose the worst
> case scenario is we end up getting a miss when we should be getting
> a hit because one side presumes that say TLD .za has a subdomain 'foo',
> when the server doesn't.  The server side would expect a second level, while
> the client would do a third level query (this is why I wanted the wildcard
> records).  I guess this really isn't that great a consequence considering
> the savings and the fact that this shouldn't occur very often.

> I will go ahead and make this change if everyone is comfortable with the
> known risk.

Not sure I'm understanding the proposal.  Remember that the goal
should be for the clients to check the registrar-type base domain
against the RBL.  If foo.co.uk is the registered domain then
that's what the client should extract and it's what the RBL
should have if there's to be a match.

Please clue me in.  ;-)