[SURBL-Discuss] ccTLDs and multiple queries

Eric Kolve ekolve at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 16:17:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:06:52PM -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 2:54:01 PM, Jose-Marcio Martins wrote:
> > Yeah. But you did the assumption that all the rules are defined at some
> > pages told before (bestregistrar, ...).
>
> > But there are exceptions. For example, brazilian domains. Most brazilian
> > domains have three components, but not all. E.g. "cta.br" and "ita.br".
> > These aren't spammers, but an engineering school and a research center
> > from Brazilian Air Force.

Not to beat a dead horse, but one benefit of having a wildcard A record
would be that we only have to keep this kind of logic in one place
(surbl).  As it stands, both the client and the server need to keep
their rules in sync in order for queries to hit. With the wildcard a
client could query for the entire domain without worrying about what
constitutes a ccTLD or not.

--eric