[SURBL-Discuss] ccTLDs and multiple queries

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 21 18:06:02 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 3:17:50 PM, Eric Kolve wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:06:52PM -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 2:54:01 PM, Jose-Marcio Martins wrote:
>> > Yeah. But you did the assumption that all the rules are defined at some
>> > pages told before (bestregistrar, ...).
>>
>> > But there are exceptions. For example, brazilian domains. Most brazilian
>> > domains have three components, but not all. E.g. "cta.br" and "ita.br".
>> > These aren't spammers, but an engineering school and a research center
>> > from Brazilian Air Force.

Oh I just realized I misread Jose-Marcio's comment that cta.br and
ita.br are not TLDs but regular domains under an otherwise two
level ccTLD system (.br).  So I've taken them off the
two-level-tld list and moved them to the regular whitelist.
(Functionally there's not much difference, but it's good to
keep the spirit of the lists correct in usage.)

> Not to beat a dead horse, but one benefit of having a wildcard A record
> would be that we only have to keep this kind of logic in one place
> (surbl).  As it stands, both the client and the server need to keep
> their rules in sync in order for queries to hit. With the wildcard a
> client could query for the entire domain without worrying about what
> constitutes a ccTLD or not.

I'm not understanding how wildcarding would help.  Can you
give an example?

The only thing I can think of is that the lack of a wildcard
would say that a (parent) domain was ok, whereas a wildcard
would say that subdomains (child domains) are spammy.  Probably
that interpretation will seem wrong given some good examples
or further explanation.  :-)