[SURBL-Discuss] Re: ANNOUNCE: Mail::SpamAsssassin::SpamCopURI 0.11

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 21 21:27:58 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 7:55:33 PM, Simon Byrnand wrote:
> At 14:39 22/04/2004, Eric Kolve wrote:
>>I can add something that will cache on a per test basis the results
>>from the queries so the above scenario should be knocked down
>>to just 3 queries instead of 120.  I have been a little hesitant to
>>cache misses since I could see where a miss could become a hit later on,
>>but since I would only be caching per test this shouldn't be an issue.

> You mean 6 queries ? Assuming you still test both 2nd level and 3rd level
> possibilities seperately, as now.

It sounds like Eric is changing SpamCopURI to test on the number
of levels depending on ccTLD membership, which is probably fine,
therefore it would do 3 queries.

> And as far as caching goes, it shouldn't be a problem, because you just
> want to avoid doing a whole string of identical dns lookups - only cache
> identical lookups, and the caching should only last for one run of SA
> processing one message...(We assume that no new blacklist records appear in
> the middle of processing a specific message, or that if they do we don't
> care ;-)

Yes, it's not clear if "per test" means per message, but it would
seem so.  That too should be fine.  I don't think we should worry
too much about the boundary condition of the SURBL changing in
the middle of message processing, which seems like it would be
uncommon.  Per-message caching is already a big help.