[SURBL-Discuss] Re: ANNOUNCE: Mail::SpamAsssassin::SpamCopURI 0.11

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Apr 22 00:05:27 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 21, 2004, 8:41:43 PM, Simon Byrnand wrote:

> At the moment it is not entirely foolproof to figure out how many layers
> there are on a given ccTLD domain name, and at surbl.org in your backend
> processing system you have a list which you have scraped together from
> various sources, and updated manually etc.

> As Eric pointed out in a previous message, trying to do the "right thing"
> on the client end for stripping the domain name accurately would mean
> duplicating the knowledge of that list in the client - something which
> could change from time to time....and if you get it wrong you potentially
> miss some hits.

> Is there any way that you could automatically publish that information in
> the surbl itself ? Perhaps a client could retrieve a list of current ccTLD
> designations and whether they are 2nd level or 3rd level etc, and
> persistently cache that for a few hours to a day, and refer to that during
> processing.

> That way, as errors in the ccTLD designations come to light, or registrars
> add new ones etc the changes could be automatically propogated down to the
> clients...

It's an interesting proposal.  We could use a separate zone line
tld.surbl.org to get the info out.

Another, possibly better, approach would be for me to use the
same ccTLD routines that Eric is borrowing from URIDNSBL on the
data engine side.  That is another way to get us all in sync
assuming that approach used is reasonably sound.  It's something
I may check out later.  Until then the ccTLD list will need to do.