[SURBL-Discuss] Re: [SURBL-Announce] ANNOUNCE: BigEvil.cf and MidEvil.cf are now available in SURBL formas be.surbl.org

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Apr 22 02:56:39 CEST 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, 1:32:48 AM, Scott Truman wrote:
>   You seem to put a lot of emphasis on the memory taken up by
> these two lists in memory. When I removed them, spamd's memory
> utilisation went down only 1.9MB (down from 33.5MB to 31.6MB).
> Now unless you are really strapped for memory, I don't see this
> as a great advantage.

It's more of a difference with sa-blacklist which is about ten
times larger than BigEvil (comparing cf file size, I assume
there's some relation to memory usage).  Therefore, it's
sa-blacklist memory usage that people were complaining more
about.  I've updated the web site to reflect this.  Thanks for
the feedback.

> What's quicker execution-wise...a regex
> of the list in memory, or a DNS lookup/eval...I would imagine the later,
> but does anybody know?
>  The obvious advantage is that one doesn't have to update the cf files manually.

Yes, it should be more convenient.  :-)

> What's the TTL for entries in this database?

TTL for be.surbl.org is 4 hours.