[SURBL-Discuss] Re: [SURBL-Announce] ANNOUNCE: Mail::SpamAsssassin::SpamCopURI 0.13

Simon Byrnand simon at igrin.co.nz
Fri Apr 23 15:12:09 CEST 2004

> I have just released SpamCopURI 0.13.  This release adds some
> basic query caching as well as registrar based lookups against
> the RBL.  Instead of querying for both the 2nd and 3rd level
> domain we are now only querying for the 2nd OR the 3rd based
> on the TLD.  Let me know if you see any issues with this: false
> positives, misses that should be hits, etc.

Wow the releases are flowing thick and fast now :-)

Guess it shows how surbl is really taking off...

> We are now caching the query results on a per test basis
> so multiple URLs to the same to domain should only get checked
> once per RBL.
>
> There is also a change that fixes a compile error under
> Perl 5.005 reported on this list.
>
> Open redirect resolution is still off by default.  I would
> like to hear how this has worked out for those that have
> enabled it.  Do you think its safe enough to enabled it
> by default?

Well I turned it straight on, and so far its worked fine, I've manually
verified my last days worth of spam (sigh, kind of depressing wading
through your spam, but oh well :) and all the non-redirect spam url's were
picked up correctly as well as the redirected ones...(although, I've only
seen yahoo redirect spams so far, none of the others in your list)

I am curious what the third field for open_redirect_list_spamcop_uri is
though, perhaps you could document the fields briefly so we have a better
idea of how the parsing is handled and how to add custom entries if
needed.

(If there was any documentation of this, I must have missed it, and I
suppose you don't want to go into TOO much detail for the spammers who may
be reading this list ;)

Great work...

Regards,
Simon