[SURBL-Discuss] Fwd: Re: Goofy domain names

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Apr 23 16:37:34 CEST 2004

From: Jeff Chan
To: spamassassin-users
Date: Friday, April 23, 2004, 3:28:49 PM
Subject: Goofy domain names

On Friday, April 23, 2004, 7:38:46 AM, Chris Santerre wrote:
> This is where BigEvil may start going. I can change mine in 2 secs to use
> /\d00\dhosting/ but as soon as I do that, it will be removed from
> be.surbl.org. For obvious reasons they can't use wildcards.  All signs point
> to me changing bigevil over to search for this kind of stuff, and simply add
> any static ones I have to ws.surbl.org. But will see.

This is where our philosophies clash slightly.

  SURBLs just want a list of known spam domains.

  SA rulesets with wildcards try to match entire possible/probable
  classes of domain names based on observing prior types of variation.

Both approaches have their merits.

For my purposes, I'd just prefer to get the domains that have
already been found in spam.  I acknowledge that that doesn't
have the predictive value of the class approach, but it also
makes FPs less possible in principle.  (Though in reality it's
not very likely that any legitimate sites are suddenly going to
start using rxmeds1.com, rxmeds2.com, rxmeds3.com, etc.)