[SURBL-Discuss] Fwd: Re: Goofy domain names

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Sat Apr 24 03:31:20 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan wrote:

> On Friday, April 23, 2004, 3:37:34 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:

>> On Friday, April 23, 2004, 7:38:46 AM, Chris Santerre wrote:

>>> This is where BigEvil may start going. I can change mine in 2 secs
>>> to use /\d00\dhosting/ but as soon as I do that, it will be removed
>>> from be.surbl.org. For obvious reasons they can't use wildcards.
>>> All signs point to me changing bigevil over to search for this kind
>>> of stuff, and simply add any static ones I have to ws.surbl.org.
>>> But will see.

> It's only the more complex ones with fancier patterns than
> simple alternation that are not expanded into separate domain
> names by expand_regex.pl.

Why use expand_regex.pl at all? Instead of taking "/\d00\dhosting/", and
expand it into 100 potential domain names, why not simply accept a query
like:

    9001hosting.com.be.surbl.org

And, internally, do the regex "/\d00\dhosting/" on it? (and all BigEvil
regexes, for that matter). And return 127.0.0.2 on a match.

Ultimately, using expand_regex.pl, imho, is utterly self-defeating --
without stretching the imagination too much, even. If only I change the
above regex to:

    /\d+00\d+hosting/

We're already looking at trillions of permutations!

It seems to me be.surbl.org should not do an internal database query on
single domain names, but instead do a BigEvil regex (like SA does). At
least, that is what I thought it would do; and how I had hoped it would have
been.

Cheers,

- Mark