[SURBL-Discuss] Re: [spa] Re: Getting SURBL to deal with obfuscated URLs

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Apr 25 13:25:41 CEST 2004

On Sunday, April 25, 2004, 11:55:33 AM, Charles Gregory wrote:
> In the case of the '.ca' TLD (www.circa.ca), the original hierarchical
> structure was: domain.city.prov.ca (eg fleanet.hamilton.on.ca).
> The 'ca' registry has since been opened up and many new '.ca' domains
> have the normal 2nd level format. But the registry still permits 3rd and
> 4th level domains under the exsiting provincial and municipality levels.
> I have no idea what safegaurds are in place, if any, to prevent spammers
> from trying to register fourth level domains. I expect all they would have
> to do is have a registered place of business in the municipality.
> I do know that the named province/municipality does *not* have any control
> over the assignments.

Both two and three level domain cases are handled where the two
level domains can be anything.ca that are not listed as a known
geographic TLD like on.ca (for Ontario province) and where the
three level domain would be under a known two level TLD such
as anything.on.ca.

A fourth level geographic domain, for example under a city name,
may not be handled properly, but could be added.  If we drive
spammers to be desperate enough to use those then we've already
had great success.  :-)

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/