[SURBL-Discuss] Simon's complex redirection

Patrik Nilsson patrik at patrik.com
Wed Apr 28 02:26:48 CEST 2004

At 10:55 2004-04-28 +1200, Simon Byrnand wrote:
> > It's double-encoded.  We can catch that easily.  But first, my question --
> > does this *work* in an MUA, ie. should we?  Simon, could you try it?
>
>What you get is the image preview in google which consists of an image in
>the top frame, and the page that it came from in the bottom frame, and in
>the bottom frame was a link "click here for ......." so yes it definately
>does work...

I guess this is a 'framer' rather than a redirector.
A url that points to a frameset that loads an external page specified in
the query url in one of the frames.

For all practical purposes it's similar to a redirector, but with
complications.

The http response code from a GET request using the url will not indidate
that it's a redirector.

For a user loading the page in a browser, the adress of the spamvertized
website will not be visible in the location bar.

For some spammers, this would probably be prefered over traditional
redirectors.

Patrik