[SURBL-Discuss] access.db -> Bind zone file converter

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Apr 28 03:13:49 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, April 28, 2004, 1:32:13 AM, David Hooton wrote:
> We're wanting to move a bunch of our rather huge sendmail access files into
> bind compliant zone files.  Does anyone have a tool that can do this in a
> slightly more automated way than our current options?

I'm not aware of a tool to do that, but one probably exists.

The filter to create BIND zone files from lists of domains
mentioned next may be of interest.

> We're also looking for a tool to convert a domain list into our own surbl
> zone (for the moment private, but we may release it later) again any
> pointers greatly appreciated :-)

You can find the crude but quick perl filter I wrote to take a
list of domains and write out a SURBL BIND zone file at:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/domains-to-bind

A recent tarball of the entire data engine is at:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/spam-uri-data-service-1.30.tgz

or at the sourceforge.net site which we're mainly using as
a backup mirror:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/surbl/

If you would like to publish your domain list as a SURBL we have
the infrastructure in place to do that.  We'd want to see what
kind of results you're getting, etc., with particular emphasis
on a lack of false positives, check overlap with our existing
lists, etc.

Regarding FPs, our whitelisting capabilities are continuing
development now, so our ability to clean domain lists served up
as SURBLs is always improving.

Note that SURBLs are intended to be used on message body URI
domains, not mail sender domains like most other RBLs.  (I
mention this since sendmail access files also look only at
mail headers and not message bodies.)

Cheers,

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org