[SURBL-Discuss] Re: better TLD handling

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Apr 30 23:17:10 CEST 2004

On Friday, April 30, 2004, 7:12:10 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
> ... is now in SpamAssassin SVN trunk.  it uses quite a lot of data
> from the SURBL list of TLDs and their subdomains, btw, thanks! ;)

Hehe, I assumed *you* guys had the ccTLD magic bullet.  ;-)

Will check it out!  (I hate to ask but is there any kind
of direct URL access into SVN so I don't need to install
the entire structure?)

An open request to everyone: if you know of or can find any
registrar lists of ccTLDs that are not already in our list:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/two-level-tlds

then please forward them to me for addition.  I think we're
lacking places like Deutschland .de and Italia .it, and probably
some smaller ones also.

N.B. found at http://www.denic.de/de/domains/index.html
and added:

moebel.de
glueckwunsch.de
buecher.de
boerse.de
kueche.de
buero.de
fluege.de
kuechen.de
aerzte.de
reisebuero.de

Surely there are many more.  (Those look strange without
Umlauten... :-)

This is for country code TLDs which should themselves be
whitelisted.  Doing so allows us to check the third levels after
them.  Therefore we want:

  category.country

but not

  domain.country

where an abstract category is like doctors, a city name, etc.
where a potential spammer would register at a lower level like
spamming.doctor.be or spamming-subdomain.london.uk .  We don't
want to whitelist spammer.uk so please don't include registered
base domains that terminate at the second level.

TIA for any help with this,

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/