[SURBL-Discuss] Re: [SURBL-Announce] ANNOUNCE: Mail::SpamAssassin::SpamCopURI 0.20

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Aug 1 15:03:40 CEST 2004

On Sunday, August 1, 2004, 9:39:47 AM, Eric Kolve wrote:
> I am fine with 20.  Any other comments?  If I here nothing else we
> will go with 20 random.  I like that since it protects against
> the attack where a spammer could frontload an email with
> legit hidden links and present their link last.

I've already voted for 20 random :-) but I'd like to know if
SpamCopURI is skipping empty (unclickable) anchors.  IIRC
we talked about this before, but I don't remember the outcome.
A URI that's unclickable probably should not be checked.  Not
checking them also cuts down on some of the impact of the URI
"chaffing" which means adding fake or distracting ones.

(Chaffing was a term I heard used Friday by Microsoft researcher
Geoff Hulten at the CEAS conference; don't know if he coined it.)