[SURBL-Discuss] Hmmm....what if?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Aug 3 18:47:33 CEST 2004

hey,

Chris Santerre wrote:
> What if I placed an SURBL server in the beginning of my DNS query list? Then
> users would actually check SURBL for a domain in a web page. If it is in
> SURBL they will get a 127.0.0.x and get error. Which is good!

Works! All you need to do is add the multi.surbl.org ( or whatever list
you want to use ) to the Host Search order. So that x.com is looked up
as x.org.multi.surbl.org

Whatever DNS servers you are using at the time, should keep working +
Caching.

I run this at a few places. Works well across a squid proxy, specially
since u can then have a real page on the 127.0.0.x interface ( = the
gateway machine's ) telling your users what happened.

Is this what you had in mind ?

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc