[SURBL-Discuss] jwSpamSpy domains in ws.surbl.org reduced to only the best ones

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Aug 5 02:06:00 CEST 2004

On Thursday, August 5, 2004, 12:36:02 AM, Joe Wein wrote:
> Raymond and Jeff recently invited me to provide my data feed for SURBL. I
> agreed because anything that helps people block more spam is worth
> supporting. There was just one catch: more than a year ago I had started the
> list by seeding it with other people's lists, which in hindsight was not a
> good idea, as I couldn't vouch for all entries and occasionally had to drop
> entries. Recent entries (from early December 2003 onward) use a quite
> rigorous protocol that has served me well. I have had but a single complaint
> about more than 6000 domains from that data set.

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the SURBL community, and thanks very much for sharing
your data with us.  I agree that sharing information about spam
URI domains can help the Internet community in general to fight
spam.  Thanks also for your personal introduction and the
background information on the data being used with and coming
from jwSpamSpy.

As you know, Raymond is feeding the data from your blacklist into
the SURBL list: ws.surbl.org.  I had announced the change
earlier, but it may be worth repeating that we are now using only
the more recent entries which you describe above and which pass
your rigorous new screening protocol from December 2003 onward.
So we're currently probably getting only the best jwSpamSpy data
into ws.surbl.org and have certainly eliminated a few false
positives in the process.  (I'd like to still ask people to
provide any false positives or FP stats they have for ws or
any of the lists.)

Like you, at this point one of our main concerns is reducing
false positives, and in that sense your processing of the data
from traps could be considered a good model of how such checking
should be done.  You may want to consider publishing that process
if you haven't already.

Cheers, and Thanks again,