[SURBL-Discuss] Redirection service - rg3.net, listed in WS.

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Aug 5 14:57:42 CEST 2004

On Thursday, August 5, 2004, 11:29:26 AM, Patrik Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,

> rg3.net is listed in WS.

> It is a redirection service, redirecting third level domains like
> polimidia.rg3.net.

> They might have spammy third level domains, but they do have non-spammy
> ones as well.

Thanks for that research.  I've whitelisted them.  Probably they
should come out of sa-blacklist also.

> Not sure whitelisting the second level domains is the best way to handle
> these kind of redirection services though.

They need to be whitelisted since they have some legitimate use.

> If they are whitelisted, we can't blacklist third levels below those
> domains that are spammy, right?

Not under the current designs.

> Wouldn't it be better if we could treat these kind of third level
> redirectors similarly to the way we treat subdelegated country domains -
> checking the third level domain rather than the second?

Yes and no.  It might be nice to be able to block only spammy
third level domains at redirection sites, but that could also
rapidly expand the size of our lists.

> Extending what is done in RegistrarBoundaries.pm for URIDNSBL would
> probably be easier than doing something similar in SpamCopURI though.

It's all technically probably doable, but I'd expect the data
to get too large.

The best answer is to get the redirection sites to deny access
to abusers, for example by using SURBLs as some have done:

  http://www.surbl.org/news.html

> # 4/30/04: Ask Bjørn Hansen of develooper.com is using SURBL
> data to block spammer domains in the Metamark Shorten™ Service
> URI shortening and redirection service. This is the first use
> of SURBL data to prevent abuse of a redirection site that we've
> heard of! Great going! Ask explains his motivation as: "I
> mostly did it to make it less likely that I'll have to deal
> with abusers of the service manually. Hopefully the other
> redirection services will realize that benefit soon as well."
>
> # 7/23/04: SnipURL is now using SURBLs to deny abusers access
> to their URL shortening and redirection service.

Would you care to write to rg3.net for us about this?  The
following letter may be useful:

  http://www.surbl.org/redirect.html