[SURBL-Discuss] Redirection service - rg3.net, listed in WS.

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Aug 6 06:50:49 CEST 2004

One problem with subdomains is combinations.  The number of
records can multiply rapidly if we get into additional levels
of hosting or redirection domains.

Another problem is how to automatically distinguish an
actual hosting subdomain or redirection site from a
wildcarded DNS Address record:

  my.pretty.fluffy.bunny.freehostingprovider.com

vs

  random.or.keyed.gibberish.here.spamyisp.biz

It's not clear how these can be programatically distinguished.

Finally, it seems unlikely that these subdomain hosting or
redirection sites would be major sources of spam; more
like occasional, minor annoyances.  There is a disincentive
for a hosting or even redirection provider to host a spam site
due to excessive traffic, complaints, retaliation, blocking,
etc.  Most providers in general tend to be mostly whitehat or
mostly blackhat.

Most of the hard core spammers are already settled at the
blackhat or clueless providers in China, Korea, Brazil, etc.
A few professional spammers are probably responsible for most of
the spam and are more important to focus on than the minor
clueless abuser whose free site on a mostly legitimate provider
is about to get shut down.