[SURBL-Discuss] FPs in WS

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Aug 17 01:05:26 CEST 2004

On Monday, August 16, 2004, 10:01:07 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 09:47:02PM -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
>> We need to keep the borderline cases and any domains and IPs with
>> legitimate uses OFF the lists.  We're having good success
>> catching the hard core spammers.  Everyone please remember that
>> we need to bias the process towards keeping even partially
>> legitimate entries off the lists.

> Got any stats on how many times a domain has to be reported before it
> has a very low chance of being seen as a FP?

I don't have stats.  IMO the first FP report is too many, and
it probably means there are other similar FPs not being reported.

I know that probably sounds a little unreasonable, but I'd like
to inculcate a shift in mindset when thinking about SURBLs.

We're not trying to block every last spam, only the pure,
professional spammers.  That's a very different mindset from
the typical spam-fight, but absolutely necessary if we're going
to have SURBLs widely used and adopted.  We can't list entries
that have legitimate uses.