[SURBL-Discuss] surbl.org website down?

Dave Burke daveb at esat.net
Tue Aug 17 10:33:23 CEST 2004

Martin wrote:

>Jeff Chan wrote:
>
>> Comes up fine for me, but it could be intermittent DNS timeouts
>> due to BIND being slow reloading.  I'm changing my server over
>> to rbldnsd and encouraging other of the public SURBL name
>> servers to do likewise, but some are not converted over yet.
>> I believe running rbldnsd will help a lot.
>
>Jeff,
>
>Alright, but it seems like i can't find the host at all:
>
>traceroute www.surbl.org
>traceroute: unknown host www.surbl.org
>
>Anyone else from sweden experiencing the same problem?

I think it's to do with which nameserver you get back. I noticed when I
switched mine to rbldnsd that other day that I was unable to resolve
www.surbl.org from it anymore...

dave at pagh:~$ dig version.bind chaos txt @ns16.surbl.org +short
"rbldnsd"
dave at pagh:~$ dig a  www.surbl.org @ns16.surbl.org +short
dave at pagh:~$ dig version.bind chaos txt @ns14.surbl.org +short
"rbldnsd 0.992 (7 Mar 2004)"
dave at pagh:~$ dig a  www.surbl.org @ns14.surbl.org +short
dave at pagh:~$ dig version.bind chaos txt @ns13.surbl.org +short
"8.3.7-REL"
dave at pagh:~$ dig a  www.surbl.org @ns13.surbl.org +short
66.170.2.60

As you can see, ns16 & ns14 won't give you an A record back, but ns13 will.
This also affects what my nameservers will cache ....

daveb at bilbo:~$ dig a www.surbl.org @ns4.ns.esat.net +short
daveb at bilbo:~$ dig a www.surbl.org @ns5.ns.esat.net +short
66.170.2.60
daveb at bilbo:~$ traceroute www.surbl.org
traceroute: unknown host www.surbl.org

Both servers are identical, yet one can resolve it, and one can't.

I'm not sure what the solution should be, but it will only get worse as more
clients migrate rbldnsd IMHO.

Dave