[SURBL-Discuss] FP from WS

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Aug 18 00:23:57 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, August 17, 2004, 10:31:08 PM, William Stearns wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Joe Wein wrote:

>> > The following 2 URIs (and possibly a third) are FP's:
>> >
>> > i-say-MUNGED.com
>> > Surveynetworks-MUNGED.com
>> >
>> > And possibly
>> > Itracks-MUNGED.com
>> >
>> > i-say-MUNGED is the IPSOS survey site, and seems legit, and
>> > surveynetworks-MUNGED
>> > Is a collection of them.
>>
>> On March 7, 2004 I received spam from hardcore spammer DQ Media (email
>> address  OnlineSweepstakes at MUNGEDdq09.net) which advertised
>> MUNGEDsurveynetworks.com as the only company mentioned in the spam other
>> than DQ Media itself:

>> Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">To remove yourself from future Survey
>> Network's mailings please click <a
>> href="http://www.MUNGEDsurveynetworks.com/s.cfm?poo=1&ref=8602">here</a>
>>
>> That's how they got listed by me.

>         Me too.

First, I don't dispute that you received these spams.
But, the question is: does this domain have any legitimate
use?  If so then we probably should not list them since
we want to avoid false positives.

I've taken venteinc off the whitelist, but am leaving
surveynetworks on it because:

1.  clueless mailers are not the same degree of badness
as the hard core criminal spammer.

2.  They probably are not stealing zombied services
and should therefore be easily blocked by conventional sender
RBLs.  Since their name server is already in SBL, uridnsbl
and other name server resolving URL scanners would block
them based on that.

3.  They are probably not doing the same volume
of mail as the hard core spammers.

4.  They are probably subject to ISP AUPs since
they're hosted in North America.

etc.

However if it can be proven that they ONLY EVER do spam,
i.e. never do any legitimate mail, then I'm willing to let them
be blocked.

Larry,
Can you forward some headers for the surveynetworks
message?  I'd like to see if their sending servers are already
listed in RBLs.