[SURBL-Discuss] SURBL WS test scores in SA 3.0

Fred tech2 at i-is.com
Sat Aug 28 14:34:56 CEST 2004

Hello Group,
This is my first post here, let me introduce myself.  I've been very active
in fighting spam for the past 3-4 years, I just recently became a submitter
to the WS surbl list and I am hoping to start some action to help get a few
things improved for all of us.  I've created a number of rulesets for SARE
(tripwire, OEM, Spoof) and released my own rules to the public, now I am
focusing on SURBL_WS and doing what I can to improve all aspects of it.

First off I am looking for people who use SpamAssassin and have access to a
corpus of ham e-mail.  The score for the WS SURBL test in 3.0 is very low, I
am really focused on improving this and hope to get the score to 2 or 3 by
the release of SA 3.1  I want to track down False Positives and get these
whitelisted.

The statistics-set1.txt file shows:

The first number is % of e-mails hit (spam and ham), the next is % of spam,
followed by % of ham.
51.999   78.4712   0.4756   URIBL_WS_SURBL

With detection at 78.5% this rule is only outperformed by RAZOR2 and this
shows our potential. If we could reduce those FPs it would greatly increase
or scores and improve everyones perception of how good we are.  Even the
most basic rule of HTML_MESSAGE only hit on 75% of spam, we are doing more
than great so far!

Frederic Tarasevicius
Internet Information Services, Inc.
http://www.i-is.com/