[SURBL-Discuss] What are the chances of FP on Newsletters and Order Confs.

Alex Broens surbl at alexb.ch
Thu Dec 2 17:00:50 CET 2004

Paul Schwarz wrote:

> Hi Guys,  just wondered if using SURBL will block IT Dept, HR Dept and such
> newsletters that people get.   We get a lot of those in our depts.

My users, lots of IT depts, haven't missed one due to SURBL. Mostly
those newsletters are formated in a trashy way that Bayes or SA's rules
can often be more of a problem than SURBL will ever be.

> Also what are the chances of blocking a confirmation emails for something
> someone orders, etc   And also Airlines

None of these ever seen in SURBL - again, the ugly formatting is more of
a problem.

Dealing with a multinational, multlingual user base I'm often surprised
how well SURBL is doing.

> Just feeling a little leery of using SURBL for a risk of false positives.
> Seems like a lot of newsletters outsource to companies that could look like
> spammers.
>
> I know it won't block and person to person email but can you help me feel
> more comfortable about SURBL ?

a method is to never block anything -
start off with low level SURBL scores , review acording to scores,
adapt SURBL scores to your needs and after a while, sit back and enjoy.

and IF there is SURBL FP, then the URL is gone in a couple of hours (if
reported correctly)

The reporting policy is so strict that Jeff  makes the reporter's life
very miserable if he's caught. :-)

Alex