[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Feature Request: Whitelist_DNSRBL

Matt Kettler mkettler_sa at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 16:26:15 CET 2004

At 10:17 AM 12/8/2004 -0500, Chris Santerre wrote:
>OK, we know that the popular domains like yahoo.com and such are hard coded
>into SA to be skipped on DNSRBL lookups. But it would be great to have a
>function to add more locally.

Um. They are?? AFAIK there are absolutely no whitelists to the DNSRBLs in
SA itself.

Don't confuse the "EXISTING_DOMAINS" list in DNS.pm with a whitelist.

That's actually a list of domains that are used to test if your DNS is
working if you don't have dns_available set to yes. SA does a quick MX
query for one of the domains in the list, and if it gets an answer, it
knows it's working...

However, I do agree it would be nice to be able to have a DNSBL whitelist
capability, if for no other reason than fixing any listings that might
cause short-term FPs.

>Thinking one step bigger, it would be even better to feed this a file. This
>way maybe SURBL can create a file for the top hit legit domains. Then using
>SARE and RDJ, people could update that. This would reduce a lot of traffic
>and time.

Wait, now you're bringing SURBL into this.. are you talking normal DNSRBLS,
or URIDNSBLS? Or both?

Was the whitelist you were referring to really the SURBL server-side whitelist?

>This might also help with the mysterious bug we have seen where some local
>domains are being flagged as SURBL hit, when they aren't in SURBL. Perhaps
>whitelisting local domains so they are skipped would do away with this.

Agreed.. It would provide users a short-term fix, although really the
problem does need to be rooted out at some point..

>Thoughts, suggestions, or coffee?

All of the above?