[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Feature Request: Whitelist_DNSRBL

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Dec 9 05:46:27 CET 2004

On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 8:33:11 AM, Bill Landry wrote:
> Actually, I was thinking of the whitelist that Jeff has already compiled at
> http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelist-domains.sort (currently over 66,500
> whitelisted domains).  If you set a long TTL on the query responses, it
> would certainly cut down on follow-up queries for anyone that is running a
> caching dns.  It would also be a lot less resource intensive then trying to
> run a local whitelist.cf of over 66,500 whitelisted domains.

That list includes a large majority (52 thousand) of geographic
domain names, mostly .us ones which will probably never be used
in spams. We included them just for completeness and since large
sorted lists have almost no performance impact on UNIX joins.

The actual number of non .us whitelisted domains is about
13 thousand.

We mentioned some reasons why these are not as well-suited
to DNS lists as the blacklist records are.

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/