[SURBL-Discuss] RE: Geocities (Spammers, Joe Jobbers, & Pron Spam)

Rob McEwen rob at powerviewsystems.com
Tue Dec 14 20:20:31 CET 2004

RE: Geocities (Spammers, Joe Jobbers, & Pron Spam)

Over the past few months, I've had an enormous amount of problems with
e-mail which either:

--was spam advertising a geocities hosted web site
--was child-pron spam advertising a geocities...
--was one of the previous two, but a joe jobs against me

(interestingly, the joe jobs against me started just AFTER I began reporting
the child-pron spams... I wonder if my complaint e-mails to geocities were
"shared" with the wrong people?)

I know that Geocities does police their system and they do kick off spammers
and kiddie-pron. However, it is getting to the point out of all the mail
coming to my server which contain a geocities address, at least half of
these fit into one of these categories. Also, new geocities sites involved
in this behavior pop up just as fast at the old accounts are terminated.

(BTW - one common tactic is for the homes page to still be the initial
splash page and the actual child pron content is then "buried" inside. The
Geocities admins need to know this and "dig deeper" to keep this stuff out
on the front end of the process.)

Maybe if enough of the right people get this message, Geocities will clean
up their act? Any suggestions?

Rob McEwen