[SURBL-Discuss] Thunderbird and SURBL?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Dec 17 01:45:49 CET 2004

On Thursday, December 16, 2004, 4:35:20 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> It's more efficient to do these checks in
> the mail server.  If every POP3 user started checking all of
> their mail against SURBLs (or other RBLs) our name servers would
> start melting.

> Tim, If you're going to do this, please make sure your program
> is internally caching the lookups pretty heavily.  For example,
> make sure it's not checking the same domain more than once per
> message (if it appears multiple times in the same message for
> example).

OK Minor correction, I see that SimpleFilter is a POP3 proxy
service and not a client program.  In other words, it is a
centralized server through which POP traffic passes.  Please
still do:

1.  Whitelist common whitehats.  There's no point in
querying the SURBL nameservers for yahoo.com millions
of times a day, right?

  http://www.surbl.org/dns-queries.whitelist.counts.txt

2.  Cache.  If you are using DNS lookups make sure it's caching
locally at least somewhat.