[SURBL-Discuss] WHy did I ask about brightmail?

Chris Santerre csanterre at merchantsoverseas.com
Tue Jul 13 14:27:36 CEST 2004

"
Symantec's patent-pending URL Filters technology leverages key
infrastructure elements unique to Symantec. Using its real-time
spam data, the BLOC builds a list of spammer's Web sites. At the
customer site, URL Filters compare embedded links in messages
to the list of spam URLs maintained by the BLOC.

The list itself is created by using a combination of offline and real-time
processes, incorporating URLs fromthe following sources:

Probe Network data. The majority of the spam URLs are extracted from
incoming spam and historical data from the Probe Network. Thus, if there are
URLs present in the message, and the BLOC has ruled against the message, the
URL is added to the list.

Trusted third party lists. URL lists maintained by third party vendors and
partners are verified, cross-checked, and incorporated into Symantec's spam
URL list.
"

Patent Pending? Third Party? Hmmm........

I have a problem with people making money off open source. I have a REAL
problem when people don't even mention the source. I'm not saying they do
use surbl.org, but if they did, they should say it.

They also say that URL filtering is exclusive to brightmail. Nice!

Chris Santerre
System Admin and SARE Ninja
http://www.rulesemporium.com
http://www.surbl.org
'It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.'
Charles Darwin