[SURBL-Discuss] Re: RFC: sex site domain SURBL

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Mon Jul 19 20:20:17 CEST 2004

Doing a little preliminary checking of this particular dataset
leads me to wonder a little how appropirate it might be for
SURBLs.  In particular I found over a hundred whitelist hits of
sites like aol.com, att.net, btopenworld.com, budweiser.com,
clara.net, cnet.com, comcast.net, he.net, lsu.edu, match.com,
mindspring.com, msn.com, rr.com, sina.com, texas.net, tripod.com,
umich.edu, victoriassecret.com, washington.edu, etc.:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/adult.domains.whitelist-hits

that's after excluding the adult/urls list which had about 300
whitelist hits, including more hosting providers like terra.es,
etc.  Recall that our whitelists are not too complete, so there
may be other legitimate domains that are included.  We can't be
blocking on aol.com, cnet.com, msn.com, etc.

Clearly some of these (shared hosting) sites may have been used
to host sex content, but since RBLs are domain-based, and SURBLs
are registrar-domain-based, I'm having some doubts about how
useful this particular data source might be for SURBL use.

  ftp://ftp.univ-tlse1.fr/pub/reseau/cache/squidguard_contrib/adult.tar.gz

Perhaps there are other lists of sex domains that are more
selective?