[SURBL-Discuss] ETA on New Version

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Jul 22 14:24:59 CEST 2004

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, 1:00:22 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
> I read on an earlier post something about a newer SURBL version
> which more quickly matches a new domain submission with that
> particular spammer's past data so as to lower the threshhold
> (of # of
> reports) it takes for a known spammer hiding behind a new
> domain name to get blacklisted.

> Does anyone have an estimate about when this new system will be
> put into production.

Hehe, it's on my list of things to do, along with quite a few
others.....  Note that the new data engine refers only to the
handling of the SC data.

The other SURBL lists will probably continue to operate the way
they have before, which is to say quite well IMO.  Outblaze in
particular seems to get domains quickly and have a relatively low
FP rate.  I suspect it's because they probably have many
spamtraps and gain some statistical advantages from that, along
with some apparently well thought out designs for dealing with
the data they get from the traps.