[SURBL-Discuss] Bitmasks on multi.surbl.org

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Jul 22 15:25:52 CEST 2004

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, 2:09:08 PM, Mark Mark wrote:
> I just read about the new multi.surbl.org, and was wondering about its
> bitmask properties. Can you call multi.surbl.org with a multi-bitmask? Like
> 00111110? (127.0.0.62). To mean "Any of 2,4,8,16,32"? Probably not; but that
> would be real useful.

Yes you certainly could process the results that come back from
multi.surbl.org using a bitmask the way you describe.  I think
a more typical use might be to mask one specific bit to look for
a match on a single list, but the mask that the client program
uses could be arbitrary.  For example you could use a mask of
00000110 or 6 and then bitwise-or it against the results returned
from a given lookup if you wanted to check for inclusion in the
lists represented by bit positions 2 and 4 (sc and ws) at the
same time.

The "bitmasking" from the data point of view refers to how the
data is encoded, i.e. how it goes onto the list.