[SURBL-Discuss] Is spamd broken?

David B Funk dbfunk at engineering.uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 3 01:32:40 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, John Andersen wrote:

> No, - Good catch, I was using spamc in procmailrc to send it
> to spamd.
>
> Spamassassin used directly seems a bit more resource intensive
> as I can hear my disks ratteling away when mail arrives.
> Not that this matters much because the machine has nothing
> to do most of the time.

OK, so it works for 'spamassassin' but not 'spamc/spamd'.

My guess is that it's either a paths or permissions problem.

Do you have your spamd running in a chroot "jail"?

Try su'ing to the user-id that you have spamd running as
(either from the -u command line arugment or the default "nobody")
and doing a "spamassassin --lint -D". Look for differences from
the output that you get when you do that command as 'root'
or a normal user.

Also you can try running spamd with the -D argument for
testing.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>