[SURBL-Discuss] Need assistance in Installing SpamCopURI

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Thu Jun 3 13:28:32 CEST 2004

John Andersen wrote:
> I wish more people would use CPAN for perl things.
> I don't understand why people want to use RPMs for this,
> I've always done Spamassassin this way and its So easy.

Because then (almost) everything on the system is managed by rpm, or
dpkg, or $favourite_package_manager.  CPAN only knows about Perl
modules;  if some third-party program includes Perl hooks your package
manager needs to know about the required modules.  If you've installed
from CPAN or source (same thing, for the most part) then the package
manager doesn't know about them.

There *are* workarounds - cpanflute, cpan2rpm and their counterpart(s)
in Debian for instance - but it's often easier to find someone else's
package than roll your own.

It's also IMPOSSIBLE to install a Perl module that requires C code to be
compiled if you don't have a C compiler installed.  I, for one, prefer
to keep my production servers compiler-less.  I build a module package
on a development box, and install it on a set of servers.

-kgd
--
"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate
technical reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken."