[SURBL-Discuss] Re: rbldnsd is not responding

John Fawcett johnml at michaweb.net
Thu Jun 3 21:10:05 CEST 2004

From: "Ricardo"
> BTW, I (think I) understand how the whole thing works, but... isn't it
> possible to change SpamCopURI to resolve the names at a specific machine
> ip/port, instead of changing the DNS setup? Wouldn't this be easier and
> safer?
>
> []s!

I personally think its easier to setup the DNS. This is also necessary
for the more general case. If you're running a high volume mail
server and using local copies of other blocking lists, they will
also need to be set up like surbl through your DNS.

I'm not aware of other software (such as MTAs) which
will allow you to configure ip/port for dnsbl lookups.

If you're running bind as the main DNS, then you can just
configure it to forward requests for the surbl zone to your
local copy on whatever ip/port you chose.

John