[SURBL-Discuss] Re: large number of empty URIs preceeding actual one

John Fawcett johnml at michaweb.net
Fri Jun 4 20:35:59 CEST 2004

From: "Jeff Chan"
> Not sure if this is a new type of spam or not:
>
>   http://www.surbl.org/fitch7826drug.us.4jun04.txt

Did this get flagged by SpamCopURI?

If not, the reason is likely to be that the URI

http://=
www.ozone.fitch7826drug-MUNGED.us/d.ddd

contains a quoted-printable character (=).

> That said, if urirhsbl or SpamCopURI limit the number of
> URIs checked, these could sneak through.  A useful behavior
> might be to ignore any non-clickable anchors, if we're not
> already doing that.

I don't think there is *currently* any limit in SpamCopURI
on number of URIs. It should parse all of the URIs.

Limiting to URIs which are clickable could be a useful
improvement though to counter spammers that add lots of
legitimate but non clickable URIs to email. This would
reduce resource usage during processing and also
reduce load on surbl servers.

John