[SURBL-Discuss] IP addresses in SURBL?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Jun 8 12:41:12 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, 11:31:54 AM, John Fawcett wrote:
> From: "Chris Santerre"
>> I forgot, DO I add these into the SURBL, or do I keep IPs out for now and
>> add to my BigEvil dynamic version?

> my understanding is that ips which occurred in spam should be listed

> if http://a.b.c.d/ was in a spam then a.b.c.d should be listed.

> The reolsved ips of spammer domains which do not occur directly
> in spam shouldn't be listed.

> if http://some-spammer-domain.tld/ was in a spam and a.b.c.d is
> the ip address of the domain, then some-spammer-domain.tld should
> be listed while a.b.c.d should not.

> NB: ips are listed in surbl in reverse octet format
> so if the ip is a.b.c.d then the listing should be like:

> d.c.b.a.sc.surbl.org

Exactly right.  Thanks John!

Where Chris will be adding addresses to the underlying data
they should be in a.b.c.d order.  Our programs reverse the
order when turning them into BIND and rbldnsd zone files.

(Interestingly rbldnsd can handle addresses in normal order
if they are accompanied by a CIDR prefix length, as in
a.b.c.d/32, and rbldnsd can also handle networks and
ranges of addresses like a.b.c.0/24, a.b.c.0-255, etc.
Those are generally more useful for a number-based RBL
however.  Without a special notation, rbldnsd needs
numeric addresses to be in reverse octet order, as does
BIND.)