[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Where do I read about surbl/SA v3.x?

Bill Landry BillL at pointshare.com
Tue Jun 15 18:04:56 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Campbell" <campbell at accelinc.com>

> > Sure, check-out www.surbl.org for lots of info about surbl/uribl.  If
you
> > are using any of the custom URI rulesets, then switching to the DNS
based
> > URI tests instead should provide a nice performance increase.
>
> I don't believe I'm using any custom URI rulesets (I've never added
anything
> but chickenpox, popcorn, bigevil).  If these are custom URI rulesets, then
> I just learned some new vocabulary :-)

bigevil is a URI based ruleset.  If you view the file contents, you will
note that each test begins with "uri".  This means that the test is looking
for specific URIs in the message body.

> I read the whole site, and I have a fuzzy picture now, but I don't really
know
> how to jump into this pool.

There are additional requirements and setup instructions included in the
spamcop_uri plug-in tar file.

> If I elect to stay with SA 2.63, then I should download and install
> spamcopuri v0.18??  I assume I would find detailed instructions therein
> for setting it up?

Yes, and instructions are included.

> If I choose to go with SA 3.x, I first need to upgrade to teh new SA, and
then
> use uridnsbl or uribl or urirhsbl or ...  This is where my confusion
> lies at the moment.  Then of course there is the ws.surbl and the be.surbl
> and all of the talk about setting up dns, etc.

The basic spamcop_uri.cf included with the spamcopuri v0.18 tar file will
get you started.  If you need help setting up any additional tests after the
install, let us know.

> I was hoping for a howto kind of document, but maybe I'm the one who has
> to write it as I learn???

Check out the instructions in the included INSTALL file and let us know if
you need more help.

Bill