[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Where do I read about surbl/SA v3.x?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Jun 15 19:59:03 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 3:50:42 PM, Chuck Campbell wrote:
> If I elect to stay with SA 2.63, then I should download and install
> spamcopuri v0.18??

Yes, SpamCopURI is a program that can be used with all SURBLs
in SA 2.63.

> If I choose to go with SA 3.x, I first need to upgrade to teh new SA, and then
> use uridnsbl or uribl or urirhsbl or ...

uridnsbl is the SA 3 program that checks message body URIs
against numeric RBLs, i.e. by resolving the URI domain names
into IP addresses then checking those IP addresses against
the RBL.

urirhsbl is the SA 3 program that checks message body URIs
against SURBLs, i.e., it compares (mostly) domain names found
in message bodies against (mostly) domain names in SURBLs.

In fact the sample configurations shipped with uribl
(which is the pm that contains both uridnsbl and urirhsbl)
has those programs using sbl.spamhaus.org and SURBLs
respectively:

  http://www.spamassassin.org/full/3.0.x/dist/rules/25_uribl.cf

uridnsbl        URIBL_SBL       sbl.spamhaus.org.       TXT
header          URIBL_SBL       eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_SBL')
describe        URIBL_SBL       Contains a URL listed in the SBL blocklist
tflags          URIBL_SBL       net

urirhsbl        URIBL_SC_SURBL  sc.surbl.org.   A
header          URIBL_SC_SURBL  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_SC_SURBL')
describe        URIBL_SC_SURBL  Contains a URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
tflags          URIBL_SC_SURBL  net

I'm adding the above to the SURBL FAQ.  If anyone spots any
errors with the above, please let me know.

> Then of course there is the ws.surbl and the be.surbl
> and all of the talk about setting up dns, etc.

You only need to set up a local mirror to cache the RBL zone
files if you have a high volume mail system, say more than
100k inbound messages per day.  For less volume it's ok to use
the public nameservers.

At present [sc] and [ws] would be the lists to use.  [be] is
being deprecated in favor of [ws].