[SURBL-Discuss] Local RBL list?

Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr jose-marcio.martins at ensmp.fr
Thu Jun 17 00:20:39 CEST 2004

Jeff Taylor wrote:

> Hmm ok.  I was also thinking I might use Postfix's body checks and
> just drop the domains in there as well, as I'm guessing there's not
> much difference in performance between either test.
>
> Also, what about simply adding the entries to the /etc/hosts file on
> the mailserver?  Wouldn't that have the same effect as adding it to
> the local DNS?

Logical yes (not really - see bellow), but not performance. DNS servers
have everything in memory ready to answer everything as fast as
possible. hosts file is good, but not if you have some thosands of
entries at the same time. Back to old internet times before hosts.

Also, this will have the secondary effect of disallowing you to see web
pages on those sites. E.g., you you define at your hosts file :
spammer.com, you can't no more access the URL
http://spammer.com/index.html, as this will resolve to 127.0.0.2 (e.g.).
Saw it ???

Joe